Dryer vent cleaning is something people do not think about much - unless your dryer…
How often should you get the air ducts cleaned in your home?
Air duct cleaning is very important for healthy indoor air, whether in a newly built, recently renovated, or older home. In this article, we discuss why and how often you should hire the certified professionals at Guarantee Air Duct Cleaning to clean the air duct system in your home.
How often to clean the air ducts?
Guarantee Air Duct Cleaning advises homeowners to get their air ducts professionally cleaned once every 2 to 4 years. The National Air Duct Cleaner’s Association, of which Guarantee Air Duct Cleaning is a member, also recommends this timeframe. In addition to this recommendation, you have to consider other factors that might influence the condition of your air ducts, including:
- Whether you own pet(s) and how much fur, hair and dander they shed
- How quickly dust builds up on your home’s surfaces
- Whether your area is prone to wildfires (for example, Bend, Oregon is highly susceptible to indoor smoke residue build-up)
- If you or a previous owner smoke indoors
- If you or other household members have allergies
- The pollen count in your region (Central Oregon has some of the highest seasonal pollen counts in the nation)
Benefits of getting air ducts cleaned by Guarantee
If you maintain your HVAC system and replace filters regularly, then cleaning the air ducts will not be necessary as often. But there are many benefits of following the 2-4 year recommendation, including:
Improved air flow and energy cost savings
A clean HVAC system will make it easier for air to flow, therefore making the cooling and/or heating of your home much more efficient. Air flow efficiency will save you lot of energy, hence reducing energy costs.
It is easy for harmful and bothersome contaminants, including pollen, pet dander, dust and mold, to build up on the walls of your air ducts. Hiring professionals will not only remove these allergens from the ducts, but also improve the overall indoor air quality and build-up on household surfaces as well.
Cleaner and more hygienic home
Dust that flows around your indoor air can contain a lot of harmful micro-organisms. Improved air flow and clean ducts will help maintain the hygiene in your home.
No damage to the duct walls
Guarantee’s equipment is the most advanced in the industry, quickly and effectively removing dust, debris, pollen and more. This process produces a much more effective and thorough cleaning in less time. And since it uses uses the most evolved technology in the industry, there’s no cutting into your ducts like with the archaic, traditional negative air method.
When should I get my HVAC system cleaned?
There are several events after which it is highly recommended you get your air ducts professionally cleaned:
- After renovation and remodeling
- After damages to your HVAC system or your home
- Before moving to a new home
- Newly constructed homes
All these events require air ducts to be professionally cleaned because they influence the overall condition of your HVAC system and can contribute a significant amount of building debris, trash and drywall into the ducts.
How to tell if air ducts need to be cleaned:
As we mentioned earlier, it is highly advised to clean air ducts every 2 to 4 years. Following this rule will help ensure your HVAC system stays in top condition. There are several signs that can show you that air ducts in your home need to be cleaned:
- Excessive dust – if you have noticed excessive dust in your home, then there is a high probability that your duct system is dirty and in need of a cleaning.
- Pest infestation – if you see pests around your home and/or had to hire a pest control company. Then it is time to get air ducts cleaned as there is likely to be animal droppings or nests trapped in the system.
- Mold – When you notice a strange odor, allergies or mold growth anywhere in the home. Then you should definitely consider checking your HVAC system and cleaning the air ducts.