Cleaning your HVAC system will remove air duct smoke residue and contaminants, support healthy air…
Air duct cleaning means thoroughly cleaning the whole duct system that runs in your home, including the vents, ducts and in many cases, the A/C coil. During a cleaning by the Guarantee Air Duct Cleaning, our team removes dust, debris and other contaminants from the ducts. We can also apply an optional sanitization to the duct walls to disinfect and mitigate future buildup. We offer a Free Dryer Vent cleaning with any full service duct cleaning in Bend, Oregon and surrounding areas.
Air duct cleaning is very important, especially in a newly built, recently renovated, or older home. In this article, we discuss why and how often you should hire professionals to clean the air duct system in your home.
How often to clean the air ducts?
As a general rule, Guarantee advises homeowners to get their air ducts professionally cleaned once every 3 to 5 years. The HVAC Inspection, Cleaning And Restoration Association, of which Guarantee Air Duct Cleaning is a member, also recommends this timeframe. In addition to this recommendation, you have to consider other factors that might influence the condition of your air ducts, including:
- Whether you own pet(s) and how much fur, hair and dander they shed
- How quickly dust builds up on your home’s surfaces
- Whether your area is prone to wildfires (for example, Bend, Oregon is highly susceptible to indoor smoke residue build-up)
- If you or a previous owner smoke indoors
- If you or other household members have allergies
- The pollen count in your region (Oregon has some of the highest seasonal pollen counts in the nation)
- How often you use your fireplace
Benefits of getting air ducts cleaned by Guaranteee
If you maintain your HVAC system and replace filters regularly, then cleaning the air ducts will not be necessary as often. But there are many benefits of following the 3-5 year recommendation, including:
Improved air flow and energy cost savings
Clean ducts will make it easier for air to flow, therefore making the cooling and/or heating of your home much more efficient. Air flow efficiency will save you lot of energy, hence reducing energy costs.
It is easy for harmful and bothersome contaminants, including pollen, pet dander, dust and mold, to build up on the walls of your air ducts. Hiring professionals will not only remove these allergens from the ducts, but also improve the overall indoor air quality and build-up on household surfaces as well.
Cleaner and more hygienic home
Dust that flows around your indoor air can be home to lot of harmful micro-organisms. Improved air flow and clean ducts will help maintaining the hygiene in your home.
No damage to the duct walls
Guarantee’s equipment harnesses the existing air handler and runs a powerful hose through the ducts, quickly and effectively pulling up dust, debris, pollen and more. This process produces a much more effective and thorough cleaning in less time. And since it uses the existing air handler, there is no need to cut into and repair the ducts.
When should I get HVAC system cleaned?
There are several events after which it is highly recommended to get air ducts professionally cleaned:
- After renovation and remodeling
- After damages to HVAC system or your home
- Before moving to a new home
- Newly constructed homes
All these events require air ducts to be professionally cleaned because they influence overall condition of your HVAC system and can contribute a significant amount of building debris, trash and drywall into the ducts.
How to tell if air ducts need to be cleaned?
As we mentioned earlier, it is highly advised to clean air ducts every 3 to 5 years. Following this rule will guarantee a good condition of your HVAC system. There are several signs that can show you that air ducts in your home need to be cleaned:
- Excessive dust – if you have noticed excessive dust in your home, then there is a high probability that the ventilation is dirty and not working properly.
- Pest infestation – if you see pests around your home and/or had to hire a pest control company, then it is time to get air ducts cleaned as there is likely to be animal droppings or nests trapped in the system.
- Mold – When you notice a strange odor, allergies or mold growth anywhere in the home, then you should definitely consider checking your HVAC system and cleaning the air ducts.